Arduino Studio “COM Port grayed out” problem is the most annoying problem of the IDE.
Preferred installation method is to use the Arduino IDE Library Manager. To download the source from Github instead, click 'Clone or download' above, then 'Download ZIP.' After uncompressing, rename the resulting folder AdafruitSSD1306. Check that the AdafruitSSD1306 folder contains AdafruitSSD1306.cpp and AdafruitSSD1306.h. Adafruit Feather 32u4 Radio with RFM69HCW Module Created by lady ada Last updated on 2017-09-08 04:16:40 PM UTC.
Comparing with other IDEs from other programming languages, Arduino Studio is not very user friendly.
The most annoying problem that I encountered is the “COM Port grayed out” problem which means that the COM port is grayed out and I can’t select anything.
Even if the device drivers are correctly loaded, and they show up in windows control panel, Arduino Studio cannot see them or it considers that ports are busy.
Manual Driver Installation If windows needs the driver files (inf/cat) for some reason you can get all the drivers by downloading the source code zip file from this link: And point windows to the Drivers folder when it asks for the driver location https://adafru.it/AB0. On Windows 7, by default, we install a single driver for most of Adafruit's boards, including the Feather 32u4, the Feather M0, Feather M0, Express, Circuit Playground, Circuit Playground Express, Gemma M0, Trinket M0, Metro M0 Express. On Windows 10 that driver is not necessary (it's built in to Windows) and it will not be listed. Drivers Installer for Adafruit Flora (COM6) If you don’t want to waste time on hunting after the needed driver for your PC, feel free to use a dedicated self-acting installer. It will select only qualified and updated drivers for all hardware parts all alone. To download SCI Drivers Installer, follow this link.
In the end, I had found a solution which is not the easiest, but is the only one that works.
1. Make sure you have the correct driver for your device and the device shows up in “Device Manager”:
- For ch340 chips (Chinese Arduino boards): http://www.wch.cn/downloadlist/driver-1.html
- For FTDI chips (FT232RL): http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
- For USBasp programmers: http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/
2. When the Serial port menu is greyed out, it means there are no available ports.
These are the steps:
1. Connect your board
For FTDI board:
- Connect only the FTDI board to a USB port.
- Go to Control Panel, under the USB Controllers and find the “USB Serial Converter”
- Now you know that it is installed correctly
- connect the FTDI board to Arduino.
For Arduino UNO:
- Connect the board to the computer using a USB cable
2. Find your COM port number
- Go to Control Panel, under the Ports (COM&LPT) and look for your COM number.
- If you have multiple ports you can right-click on each of them and go to Properties -> Driver and find out which one it is your Arduino
3. Note down the number attached to COM
In my case, it was 4.
Adafruit Flora (COM6) Driver Download For Windows
4. Find the external preferences file and edit it
- Open Arduino IDE and go to File -> Preferences
- At the bottom of the menu, the path to the preferences.txt file is listed.
- Click on that file or open it in a text editor
- Close the Arduino Studio IDE
- Scroll down to – serial. port = COMx. Change the ‘x’ to the number of your port.
5. Reopen Arduino
- Look at the bottom right corner of the IDE: your port should be listed there.
6. Now you can upload sketches to your Arduino only on that port!
Adafruit Flora (com6) Driver Download For Windows 10
- The next time you will reconnect the Arduino to PC your port number may change.
- If your port number changes, you will have to take all these steps from the beginning.